American Bazaar Store
P O Block, 151 St Paul Street
Misses E & M.A. Anderson
Elizabeth & Mary A. Anderson
Fancy goods + milliner
107 St Paul
General Brock Monument
Brown & Company
Buffalo Historical Museum
(aka Museum on Yankee side)
Founded as Buffalo Historical Society in 1862, the Buffalo Historial Museum had three locations prior to moving to its current site in 1901 (New York State Building of the Pan-American Exposition).
Chaplin Saw Works
Church Of England burial ground
aka English Church burial ground
aka St John's (Anglican) Cemetery
Registered to St. John's Anglican Church
Main St, Port Dalhousie, Ontario
Collegiate Institute - was located on Church Street between St. George Anglican Church and First Presbyterian Church. The Collegiate began as Grantham Academy in 1829. The building eventual became W. J. Robertson Public School, a name it kept until 1977. In 2016 it became the Niagara Folk Arts Multicultural Centre.
The St. Catharines Collegiate Institute was moved to 34 Catherine Street in 1923. Where it still remains today.
Factory located at 50 Geneva Street, over Wise's Planning Mill.
Winnie walked as far as this location with Miss Crawford, after having met her on Queen Street near the Post Office.
73 St. Paul Street E at Helliwells Lane
Later site of Zellers department store, now a parking lot.
Denton Cottier & Daniels
32 Court Street, Buffalo NY
Pianos & Organs since 1827
Dominon Radiator Company
Dunn's Florist, shop was on Ontario St. south west corner of Trafalgar St.
Thomas Durnin, grocery store
58 Wellington (53 on 1913 map)
Dwyer's Druggist and Chemist
53 St Paul, owned by Percy M. Dwyer
Eckhardt's WH & Son Pianos
Music and Musical Instrument Store
91 St Paul
First Presbyterian Church
95 Chruch St
Now known as Royal House Redeemed Christian Church of God
Baker and Confectioners
11 St Paul
Carleton Street unknown number
Grand Opera House
Opened in September 1877 and was initially known as the Academy of Music. Caught fire in 1895, and again in 1926. sometime after the 1926 fire, the Opera House was turned into a bowling alley called Dorado Lanes. Dorado Lanes was closed after a fire in 1992 and the building was demolished and turned into a parking lot.
Located at Third Street Louth and Seventh Street.
Built in the mid-1800s as a Methodist chapel, became a community hall for a women's institute and farmers' co-operative. Until 2007, was known as St. Mark's Anglican Church.
Demolished sometime after August 2010.
One of several locations used by the Musical Circle for their recitals and concerts.
William W. Greenwood, Druggist
25 St. Paul Street
Hamilton Gun Club -
aka Western Hill
Hill in Western St. Catherines on Hainer Street leading to old Welland Canal.
Haynes Avenue Presbyterian Church
First site was Haynes Avenue at Seneca (1876-1897)
Second site was Queenston St at Thorold Rd. Renamed to Westminster Presbyterian Church in 1922, became United Church in 1925.
Current site at 180 Queenston St. dedicated in 1927.
109 St Paul St
Baker and Confectioner
Wedding Cakes a Speciality, Ice Cream, Lunch Rooms
Samuel J. Inksater, clerk
27 St. Paul Street
James Jean, confectioner
15 St Paul Street W
sells ice cream soda
John Jeeves, market gardener
n s Elizabeth w
artist materials, pictures, frames, newspapers, periodicals, public and high school books + supplies, fine stationery, spectacles + eye glasses
Rev James Murray, pastor
James Lee, grocer
19 Welland Avenue s e cor Queen
Estate of George Lloyd
Stoves and Tinware
Site of drowning of Isaac Foy McTavish and Joseph Smith on August 8th, 1900
Popular picnic destination. Lost in the constuction of the New Welland Canal: "Up the ten mile creek now part of the New Welland Ship Canal running through McCalla's Grove and the old Read Farm"
McLaren & Co.
19-21 St Paul Street
Destroyed in 1936 fire, current site of One St Paul
J. McLaren Green Houses and Market Garden
John A. McLaren
44 Welland Ave n w cor Lake
A. Meyer (Myer) Co. Ltd.
Anthony Meyer, proprietor
23 Lake cor Elizabeth
St. Catharines' first public. The land was purchased by the City of St. Catharines 1887. Frederick Law Olmsted, designer of New York City’s Central Park, was commissioned to design Montebello Park.
A pavilion located in the park was constructed on the foundation of the original Merritt estate in 1888.
William Palmer, proprietor
Hotel at southwest corner of Front and Partition streets
Closed in 1904 and destroyed by fire in 1906.
Named for the carved stone mantel executed by same men as Brock Monument at Queenston Heights.
James Murphy, livery
Murray, A & Co.
10 King E, Hamilton
Staple & fancy dry goods, millinery and mantles
Niagara Street Methodist Church
n s Nelson, 1 w Niagara
Robert W Osborn
P & 0 Block, St Paul Street
Winnie's waltzes were bound here.
Perry Co. Malden, Mass -
Peter's Cartridge Co. -
Corner of King st. and Queen st.
Robert Lawrie served as postmaster from 1901 to 1905 Post Office records for the years 1875-1902 did not survive.
Queen St. Baptist Church
built in 1852. Burned in a fire in 1891. Current day appearance of the church has not changed much in about 100 years.
Queenston Heights -
Redpath Concert Co -
Established in 1889.
First headmaster was Dr. John Ormsby Miller
98 King street.
Boarding House owned by Mrs. J Shelly
Butcher, owned by W. J. Smith. Located on King street.
St. Barnabas Church
82 Queenston St.
Founded in 1870. Originaly built on John Street, it was moved to Queenston Street in 1891
St. Catharines Free Library
Miss Sarah E Waud, librarian, 12 Queen St.
St. Catharines (City) Gas Works
St. George Church
23 Church St.
One of the oldest Parishes in Canada, established in 1792. The current building was built in 1840.
St. James Church
Corner of Hartzel Road and Oakdale Ave.
Held its last service on January 22nd 2017 after being open for 125 years.
St. John's Church
Described by Winnie as "St. johns church in Port"
Located on Main Street in the Anglican parish in Port Dalhousie.
Original church was disassembled and rebuilt in Merritton as first St. James Church.
St. Paul St. Church
12 St. Paul St
The present church was constructed in 1861. The spire was complete in 1870.
Destroyed in a fire in 1962, was rebuilt and reopened in 1963.
St. Thomas Anglican Church
The church attended by the Beam family.
Steele Bros. -
Located in Peterborough County in Central Ontario
Winnie's Father goes here for a fishing trip
James D. Tait Co. Ltd.
23 and 25 St Paul Street E
Thomson & Moores
Frederick W. Truman, Florist
9 Ottawa St
Walker & Abbs
28 Queen St.
Pharmacy owned by druggists James N. Walker and John A. Abbs
Welland Avenue Church
55 Welland Ave.
Originaly build of wood, newer church build of stone was built in 1877
Welland Depot -
Welland House -
Where Mr Beatty was sent.
Welland Vale Works
N. Whiting & Sons
57 St Paul
33 Queen Street
Fruits, Cream, Groceries, Oysters
Wilson Lumber Mills
Located at Wiley and Nelson until May 1900 fire
Later opened Geo. Wilson & Co. Planning Mill and Box Factory between Queen and Niagara
Wood Bros -
Woodruff's Field -