Community Members

A

Abbott, Dr, friend of Charles Beam, visited the family with his sister Mrs Tulley and an unnamed brother from London. While in St. Catharines the pair stated at the Welland Hotel.

Abbs, John A (b.1864), druggist partner in Walker and Abbs. Married Miss May (Mary) Parnell (b.1875/6), a school teacher on January 17, 1901. They had a daughter Margaret born August 22, 1902. In this year the family lived on 14 King St.

Adie, Jessie (b.1884).

Allen, Mr

Allie, Aunt

Archer, Nellie (b.1875), a teacher was a boarder in the home of Mrs. J. Vine.

Armstrong, George (b. 1869), was the Vice President and Manager of McKinnon Dash & Metal Works Co. His home was located on Church Street southwest corner of Court Street. Baby born Jan 1, 1900

B

Band, Charles, [Standard publishes an announcement for the marriage of Charles Band to Ethel May Tobin on February 9, 1916, though he does not appear in the 1901 St. Catharines Vernon Directory] CHECK other direct.

Barnes, Nellie (b.1880), in 1902 she married John Evans, a livery manager. The couple had two sons, George (b. 1904) and Allan (b. 1906). Nellie was the daughter of George (b. 1853) and Sarah A (b. 1855). She had three siblings; Harry G. (b. 1883), Bessie A. (b. 1885) and Marie A. (b. 1889).

Barrie, Dr., returned from South Africa on December 7, 1900.

Bate, Emily, gave recitation on November 21, 1900. Married Edward H. Fuller on February 10, 1900.

Beam, Annie

Beam, Frank

Beam, Lillie

Beatty, Herbert, held in Welland jail on March 28.

Benson, Muriel (1878 - 1902), lived at 24 Academy Road with her mother Augusta (1860 - 1903), sister Eileen (1881 - 1902) and brother Karl (b. 1887).

Biggar, Miss (b.1840), daughter of James and Amelia (1820 - 1903). The family lived at 109 King St. Martha had a brother, Peter (b. 1860), whose profession in the 1901 Vernon City Directory was listed as gardener.

Bird, Stella Maud (1871 - 900), was the daughter of James (b. 1836), an upholster, and Elizabeth (b. 1846). Her siblings were Harriette (b. 1864), Lydia (b. 1867), Percy (b. 1873). The family lived at 80 Geneva Avenue. Albert P. Bird lived with the family in 1901, though the relationship is unclear.

Birdsall, Edwin (b. 1859), was from Hamilton. He was either a driver. OR,  J.W. Birdsall (Painter, age 48).

Blackwell, Laura Christine (1878 – 1953), was a world-famous operatic singer, theatre producer and director. She married Stanislaw de Turczynowicz Count Gozdawa of Poland and builds her career with this name. The couple had three children, Wanda Jolanda (b. 1908) and twin sons Stanislaw Piotr and Wladislaw Pawe (b. 1909). In 1916 she published the autobiographical book titled, When the Prussians came to Poland; the experiences of an American woman during the German invasion, in which she recounts her First World War-time experience in Germany. Winnie mentions a performance given at the Grand Opera House on September 27, 1900, it is noted that this was Blackwell’s last performance in the area. Read more in the Laura de Turczynowicz fonds RG 89 Brock University Library Digital Repository. See also St. Catharines Library

Bogardus, Charlotte E. (Lottie) (b. 1881), daughter of Philip (b. 1838), a carpenter, and Elizabeth (b. 1845), siblings were May (b. 1872) was a stenographer at the Welland Vale Bicycle Company, Fredrick (b. 1878) was a clerk at Walker and Abbs, Lena stenographer, (b. 1883). The family lived on north side of Russel Avenue opposite George St. On April 27, 1904 Lottie married Harry G. R. Philip (b. 1876).

Booth, Ethel V. (b. 1882), worked at the Maple L R Co and lived at 10 Queenston. Her mother was Nancy (b. 1863). Her siblings were, Roy (b. 1885), Fredrick (b. 1888), Freddie B. D. (b. 1890) and Karl I. (b. 1893).

Borrowman,  Elizabeth (née Wilson) (1847 - 1900), wife of Adam (b.1852 - 1911) a manufacturer agent, mother of two sons and a daughter. The family lived on the north side of Queenston two streets east of Ida.

Borrowman, Louise (b. 1884), daughter of Charles O. (b. 1849) and Maria (b. 1852). Her father was the Director of McLaren & Company. The family composed of Annie M. (b. 1876) and William B. (b. 1875), Robert (b. 1878), James H. (b. 1880), Emily (b. 1883), Charles (b. 1886), and Elsie B. (1889) lived at 20 Yate Street. On October 10, 1914 she married Cyril Horsfield (b. 1884). The 1921 census record reports Cyril and Louise living in Toronto with their three-year-old daughter Lois.

Boyle, Isabella Beatrice was a seamstress/dressmaker and daughter of Horatio and Sarah McClelland. Her shop was at 34 King St and she lived side of Nelson, four houses east of Geneva Avenue. Her siblings were, Alice (b. 1862), George (b. 1863), Arthur P. (b. 1865) an engineer, and R. Hilliard (b. 1867) a sailor. On February 12, 1916 she married Arthur David Mitchell (b. 1871).

Boyle, Olive Edith Alexandra (1879-1900), daughter of James B. (1841 – 1911) and Sarah L. (1853 – 1923). She was Mrs. Pay's niece.

Boyle, Stannage, read sermon on June 24, 1900.

Bradley, Mr, gave a speech on November 21, 1900.

Bruce, Mr, Beam family inquired whether or not they could board their horse, Nellie, in his stable for the winter.

Buchanan, Dr. Washington, (b. 1870), was a dentist. Had a son born on April 28, 1906. His office was on 28 Queen and he boarded in the home of Charles Ryon on the south side of Chestnut. Brock University Library

Buckeley, Miss, died November 11, 1900.

Bunting, W Sidney (b.1861), was a dentist. Lived at 37 Elizabeth. Income of $800/yr (1901). Father of Annie (b.1897).

Bunting, William H, was President of St. Catharines Canning and Cold Storage Forwarding Co. located at 15 Ontario Street. In 1901 his house was located west side Geneva 6 north Maple Street.

Burleigh, William W (1870 – 1924), was a shoe merchant who worked at Dillon & Moore and lived at 3 Ann St. with his mother Mary (b. 1839).

Burrell, Frank (b.1875), read at Church Pound Social on February 9, 1900 and replaced as editor by Mr. Williams on December 11, 1900. He boarded at Joseph Disher’s boarding house on 19 James Street.

Burrows, Louise Powell (b. 1863), married Mr. George Alexander Powell (b. 1867) an accountant, on April 16, 1900. Mother of Maude.

Burson, Edith (b. 1872), was the daughter of Esther Quo (1839 – 1912 and Rev. George Burson (1833 - 1895). The family lived at 17 Academy Avenue with their three sons. Bennett (1868 - 1928), Herbert (b. 1877 - 1939) and Cecil (b. 1879). Edith married Donald Campbell Meyers, M.D., M. R. C. S. Eng. on March 24, 1900.

Butler, Dr. of Buffalo

C

Camp, Mrs, led at Musicals. Possibly on of the following:
1. Mary J. Camp (1863 - 1925) was the widow of G. Frank Camp and lived at 26 Ontario St. in her bother’s home, Herbert. H. Collier of Collier and Yale: Barristers, Solicitors and Notaries, with office on 8 St. Paul St.
2. Louisa Camp (b. 1863) was the widow of Arthur C. Camp. Lived on the north side of Lyman 4 houses from Raymond with her father, Walter Chatfield (b. 1833), her mother Hannah (b. 1830) and her son Walter Camp (b. 1888).
3. Magdalen K. Camp (b. 1858), lived with her father James Kelly (b. 1826) and mother Katharine (b. 1824). .

Campbell, Mary (b.1868), wife of Robert (b. 1857), manager at the Mack Mineral Springs Co. located at 15 Ontario St. In 1901 she and her husband were lodgers at the Grand Central Hotel.

Campbell, Robert(b. 1857), was a manager at the Mack Mineral Springs C. located at 15 Ontario Street. In 1901 he and his wife boarded at Grand Central Hotel.

Carman, Blanche (b.1871), daughter of James W. (1834 – 1903), a journalist and business man.

Carman, Ella B (b.1863), her parents were James W. Carman (1834 – 1903), a journalist and business man and Jean L. (b.1835).

Carman, James W. (1834 - 1903), a journalist, founded the Napanee Reformer, owned St. Catharines Daily News, a brick business and tenement at King and Queen Streets identified as Carman Block in the 1901 Vernon City Directory. He worked at 26 Queen, lived at north west corner of Elizabeth St. with his family. His wife was Jean L. (b.1835) and he had five children; Ella (b. 1863), Agusta (b. 1865), Blanche (b. 1871), Winnie (1873) and Annette (b. 1856). In 1901 Annette’s son, Julien C. Kennedy (b.1885) lived with the family.

Carman, Winnifred (Winnie) (b.1873), was the daughter of James W. (1834 – 1903), a journalist and business man. Married Rev. M. Simpson on April 30th, 1900 in Minneapolis.

Carpenter, Lloyd (b.1894), was the grandson of Jone M. Reed (b. 1823) and the nephew of J. M. Campble [?] (b. 1848), house keeper. (1901 census records)

Carroll the family, father Joseph D. (b.1824), wife Jane (b.1826) and daughter Lillie, lived at 18 Church St.

Carroll, Lillie (b.1861), lived at 18 Church St.

Cartwright, Sir RichardCartwright, Sir Richard (1835 - 1912), was a Federal Liberal politician. Read more.

Chaplin, Miss works at Dunn's. Caroline or Charlotte, both lived at 28 Duke St.

Chapman, Genevra Robert T. (b.1876), was born in Quebec. She was a music teacher who in 1901 lived and worked at 85 Queen Street. Her father was R. H. G. Chapman and her mother was E. C. Chapman. Genevra's sister, Victoria (b. 1874) was also born in Quebec. In 1902 Genevra married William Nelson Campbell a manufacture and in 1903 they a daughter, Genevra Victoria Alexandra (Roberta). At this time, they were living in Toronto (York).

Chapman, Victoria (b.1874), was an organist. She was the daughter of was R. H. G Chapman and her mother was E. C. Chapman.

Chatfield, Mrs was a Sunday School teacher and pianoplayer/teacher. Possibly Eliza (1841 - 1912), wife of Albert Chatfield (1839 - 1915), manager at Chatfield & Co., steam heating, plumbing and stoves. The business was on 24 Ontario St., while the couple lived at 25 Yate St.

Cline, Miss worked at Brown's Nurseries. Possibly Matilda A. Cline (b. 862), sister of William H. Cline.

Clark, Kate Eccles (b.1862), her mother was Frances Clark (b.1831) born in Ireland. In 19ll Kate lived with her sister Elizabeth W. Clark (b.1873).

Cleghorn, Anna M (1850 - 1907), was a Sunday School teacher and matron. Was part of the original staff at Ridley College (BRC).

Cloney, Kathleen (Kate) (1858 - 1902), was daughter of Thomas (d. 1902) and Sarah (1825 - 1906). The family composed of Andrew (1848 - 1924), Sarah L. (b. 1864), Alfred J. (b. 1867) at 46 Queenston St. At this same address in the 1901 St. Catharines Vernon City are found S. Louisa a teacher at the Collegiate Institute and William F who worked at Richealieu Navigation Co. Her brothers owned Cloney Bros. grocers, coal and flour. The shop was located at 46-48 Queenston St.

Cloy, Miss possibly Jessie (married A.F. Harter in 1900) OR Mabel Gray (married Arthur Balls in 1902) both are the daughters of John.

Colgan, Dr Robert (1858 – 1924), was a veterinary surgeon. His office and home were at 6 Chestnut St.

Collins, Mrs (d. 1900), was the wife or Jas (J.J.) Collins of Watson Manfg Co. Lived at 89 Queen.[??????]

Comfort, Dr J Horace W. (1872 - 1952), was married to Lydia A (b.1873). In 1901 the couple had three daughters, Vera Althea (b. 1895), Grace Everst (b. 1898) and Ester Anna (b. 1900) and lived in Grainsborough. They later had Clifford Lane (b. 1905), Elise Retta (b. 1906), Florence Irene (b. 1908) and Ola Candas (b. 1910).

Comfort, Lydia (b. 1873), was the wife of Dr. Horace Comfort (1872 - 1952). In 1901 the couple had three daughters, Vera Althea (b. 1895), Grace Everst (b. 1898) and Ester Anna (b. 1900) and lived in Grainsborough. They later had Clifford Lane (b. 1905), Elise Retta (b. 1906), Florence Irene (b. 1908) and Ola Candas (b. 1910).

Cougles Minnie and Nellie a stenographer, lived at 96 Ontario St with Frank Cougle.

Cowie, Bessie, had a grandmother who lived in St. Catharines.

Coy, Alletta (Allie) Maud (b. 1883), she was the daughter of Frank (b. 1853) and Mary A (b. 1854). In 1901 she lived with the family 26 Welland Avenue.Married Mr Alfred Fraser Shambeau on September 25, 1912.

Coy, Della/Delta (Dell) was the daughter of Frank (b. 1853) and Mary A (b. 1854).

Coy, Mattie (b. 1878), was the daughter of Frank (b. 1853) and Mary A (b. 1854). In 1901 she lived with the family 26 Welland Avenue. Married Sheldon Byrne Clement of North Bay in September 1906. Their first child, a son, was born October 14, 1907.

Coy, Frank (1854 - 1904), was married to Mary Aletta (b. 1854) born in Rochester, New York. The couple had four children, Martha (b. 1878), Francis (b. 1881) Aletta (1883) and Mary G. (b. 1888). Mr. Coy’s sister Eliza Coy (b. 1839) lived with the family in 1901.

Coy, Mary Aletta (b. 1854) was born in Rochester, New York. She was married to Frank (1854 – 1904). The couple had four children, Martha (b. 1878), Francis (b. 1881) Aletta (1883) and Mary G. (b. 1888). Mr. Coy’s sister Eliza Coy (b. 1839) also lived with the family in this year.

Crawford, Fannie (b. 1886), was sales clerk at McLaren & Co. She and her father Jas Crawford (b. 1829) and her two sisters Annie (b. 1861) and Helena (b. 1883)and lived at 10 Catherine St . [possibly the person mentioned]

Creeleman, Mr, brother of Mrs. Jeffrey.

Crossley, Hugh T., was a Methodist Evangelist. Read more.

Cutler, Oliver D. (1872), was a confectioner. In 1901 he and his wife Lena (b. 1878), with their two sons, Cecil (b. 1899) and Otis (b. 1900) lodged at 167 Church St.

D

Dainty, Miss

Dawson Francis (b. 1886), was the daughter of Thomas C. (b. 1843), a Sheriff at the Court House, and Catharine (b. 1842). She had four siblings, Margaret (b. 1874), Teresa (b. 1876), Kathleen (b. 1878) and Henry (b. 1883). The family lived on the south side of Ontario St. four houses west of Adam St.

Dean, Mr, friend of Charles Gould.

Dexter, the Beam family dog.

Dorsey, Joseph (b. 1875), a driver and Edith (b. 1873) parents of four children; Norman (b. 1894), Spencer (b.1896 ), Joseph (b. 1898), and Rena (b. 1899). The family lived on the north side of Davidson two houses west of Page. [possibly the person mentioned]

Dougan, Ethel Carlisle (1876 - 1912), was George Carlisle’s neice. Married James Norris on December 23, 1903.

Dougan, Ann (1850 - 1924), was George Carlisle’s sister. Widow of Dr. William Dougan. Lived on Queen St. south east corner of Church St.

Dudley, Dr. John Lockhart (1876 - 1918), married Emma Alma Ackerly on October 9, 1902.

Dudley, Alicia (b.1849), married to Thomas E. Dudley (1849 - 1930) the manager at G. N. W. Telagt. Hendrie Carttrage Co. Ltd. on 12 Ontario St. The couple had three children, Edith Leta (b. 1882) a teacher, Harvery D. (1884 - 1971) a clerk at W. G. Maybee, and Grace H. (b. 1882). Mr. Dudley’s mother, Sarah E. (b. 1816) lived with the family on 10 York St.

Dudley, Edith Leta(b. 1882), she is identified as a teacher in the 1901 St. Catharines' Vernon Directory. Her parents were Alicia (b. 1849) and Thomas E. Dudley (1849 - 1930) the manager at G. N. W. Telagt. Hendrie Carttrage Co. Ltd. on 12 Ontario St. She had two siblings Harvery D. (1884 - 1971) a clerk at W. G. Maybee, and Grace H. (b. 1882). Mr. Dudley’s mother, Sarah E. (b. 1816) lived with the family on 10 York St.

Durno, Jeannette (1876 – 1963), was a Canadian-born pianist and student of Leschetizky. Read more

Dwal, Miss ????,Winnie takes over a lesson for her June 1 & 2.

Dwyer, Anna (1858 - 1930), mother of Percy (b. 1878), Beatrice (b. 1879) and Leslie (b.1884). She was married to Eugene Dwyer (b. 1850), manager at the Security Savings & Loans Co. The family lived on 28 Welland Avenue. Their domestic was Hattie Howell (b. 1870).

Dwyer, Beatrice (b. 1879), her parents were Eugene (b. 1850), manager at the Security Savings & Loans Co., and Anna (1858 - 1930). She had two brothers  Percy (b. 1878) and Leslie (b. 1884). The family lived on 28 Welland Avenue. Their domestic was Hattie Howell (b. 1870).

Dwyer, Leslie (b. 1884), his parents were Eugene (b. 1850), manager at the Security Savings & Loans Co., and Anna (1858 - 1930). He had a brother  Percy (b. 1878) and a sister Beatrice (b. 1879). The family lived on 28 Welland Avenue. Their domestic was Hattie Howell (b. 1870).

E

Elliot, Miss

Elliott, Bessie (b. 1883), is identified as a student in the 1901 St. Catharines Vernon Directory. Her parents were Chas (b. 1849) and Elizabeth (b. 1849). Her sister was Nellie Elliott (b.1876), The family lived at 71 James St.

Elliott, Nellie (b. 1876), her parents were Chas (b. 1849) and Elizabeth (b. 1849) and Bessie Elliott was her sister. The family lived at 71 James St.

Ettler, Mrs

F

Farwler, Miss

Fish, Mrs

Fisher, Rose A., was a bookkeeper with W J & J McCalla. She lived in Thorold. Gave recitations at church event.

Fitzgerald

Fowler, Addie L. (1861 - 1900), she was the daughter of James B. (b. 1836) a jewller and owner of Fowler & Co., and Sarah Jane (b. 1840). She had a brother, Clarence (b. 1875).

Francis, Edith (b. 1880) was Sunday School teacher. Lived with Thomas and Alice May Webb at 2 York St.

Fraser, Mrs, sold elderberries to the Beams

Freeman, Miss helped with housework while Mrs. Trusty was sick.

Freeman, Uncle

G

Gardiner, Annie (b. 1880), went to school with Winnie. Her parents were Edward (b. 1842), a Civil Engineer whose business was located at 27 Queen St. and Amelia E. (b. 1845). The family lived at north side of Russell Avenue two streets west of Geneva.

Gardiner, Mr, was preacher from Port Dalhousie.

Garry, Mr, performed at a musical for Red Cross Fund.

Gould, Charlie

Gray, Mrs

Green, Miss, was from Buffalo.

Greenwood, E. Mabel (b.1880), her parents were W. William (1846 - 1902), a druggist with business W. W. Greenwood located at 25 St. Paul St., and J. Mary (1854 - 1931). The family lived at 17 Church St. Mabel had three siblings, T. William (b. 1882), Grace Kathleen (b. 1884), Mayde Rather (b. 1885).

Greenwood, Grace K. (b. 1884), her parents were W. William (1846 - 1902), a druggist with business W. W. Greenwood located at 25 St. Paul St., and J. Mary (1854 - 1931). The family lived at 17 Church St. Grace had three siblings, E. Mable (b. 1880), T. William (b. 1882), and Mayde Rather (b. 1885).

Greenwood, J. Mary (1854 - 1931), was married to W. William (1846 - 1902), a druggist with business W. W. Greenwood located at 25 St. Paul St. The family lived at 17 Church St. The couple had four children E. Mable (b. 1880), T. William (b. 1882), Grace Kathleen (b. 1884), and Mayde Rather (b. 1885).

Greenwood, Mayde R.. (b. 1885), her parents were W. William (1846 - 1902), a druggist with business W. W. Greenwood located at 25 St. Paul St., and J. Mary (1854 - 1931). The family lived at 17 Church St. Mayde had three siblings, E. Mable (b. 1880), T. William (b. 1882), and Grace Kathleen (b. 1884).

Grobb, Ernest (b. 1876), was a traveler according to the 1901 Canada Census record. He and his wife Mabel (b. 1880), whom he married on June 28, 1900, were lodgers in the boarding house of Maria and Sarah Kingdom located on the west side of Geneva two house south of Riordon.

Grobb, Roy (b. 1880), his parents were Alsand (b. 1852) and Mary E (b. 1854). He had a sister, Ermal (b. 1887).

Groom, Mabel (b. 1881), was the daughter of Edward W. (1853 – 1900) and Harriette (b. 1853). She had a brother, Percy E. (b. 1882). The family lived at 84 Queenston St

Groom, Edward W. (1853 – 1900), his wife was Harriette (b. 1853). The couple had two children, Mabel (b. 1881) and Percy E. (b. 1882). The family lived at 84 Queenston St.

Groves, Louisa(b. 1888), was the daughter of John T. (b. 1863), a accountant and teller at the Security Loan & Saving Co., located at 26 Ontario Street, and Ella (b. 1866). The family lived at 100 King St.

H

H. P.-9/14

Hall, Mrs

Halliday, Augustus (b. 1830), was a gardener.

Hamilton, Eloise (b. 1882), lived with Edwin and Jessie Goodman.

Hamlton, Rev. Helier of Japan

Hards, Ira Almon (1872 – 1938), was born in Geneva, Ill. He was an actor and stage director. Read more

Harris, Miss

Harry, Dr

Hathaway, Samuel (b. 1855), of Ridgeway Township of Bertie was a miller. His wife was Rachel (b. 1852) and he had a son George B. (b. 1881).

Haun, Mary A. (1843 - 1919), was a Sunday School teacher and widow of Henry Haun. She boarded at 6 Duke St. with the J. William Keys family.

Healey, Fernie (b. 1882), his mother was Mary McCaulam (b. 1850). His sister was Mary E. Healey (b. 1880) and Walt McCaulam Walt (b. 1892). The family lived at 91 King St.

Henderson, May (b. 1879), was the daughter of John (b. 1846), a principal at Collegiate Institute and Jone R. (b. 1851). Their housekeeper was Nellie Sheaver (b. 1879). The family lived 67 James St.

Henderson, Miss

Henderson, Mr

Henry, Uncle

Hesiott, Miss

Hibbard, Murray H.(b. 1866), was a merchant. He and his wife Leona L (b. 1874) and their daughter Olive L. (1898) lived in Ridgeway.

Hodgetts

Hodgins

Hodge, Mabel (b. 1880), she was Dr. Beam’s assistant. She lodged at 42 Louisa St. She married Stanley H. Switzer.

Holder, May was a piano teacher with a studio in the Bank Commerce Building. She lived at 92 Queenston Avenue.

Hunt, Dr.-from Hamilton to do bridge work

Hunter, John E., (1856 - 1919), was a Methodist Evangelist. Read more.

Hutt, Mary (b. 1876), was a teacher. She lived in Willoughby Township area between Chippawa and Fort Erie in the home of the Morningstar family. The Beam family relations live in this area.

I

Inksater, Samuel Jason (1867 - 1935), married to Georgetta (1866 - 1938). They had a son William (b. 1892), their second son, Frederick (b. 1893), died September 7, 1900 and a daughter Edith (1898 – 1979). He and his brother Herbert owned Inksater Bros. Dry Goods, Millinery, Mantles, and House furnishings, located at 27 St Paul St. In 1901 the family lodged with Margaret Clarke (b. 1848).

inspector-school interrogation-jan 25

Irwin, R (d. 1900), he was a soldier.

J

Jarvis, Harold assisted a band during a concert at the Opera House.

Jeeves, Emma (b. 1882), her parents were John (1849 – 1929), a market gardener, and Augusta Ray (1855 - 1900). Had eight brothers and sisters (George b. 1873; Carrie 1874 – 1880; Henry b. 1875; Jennie b. 1877; Ernest b. 1878; Ray b. 1883; Charles Percy 1879 – 1938; Frederick C. 1886 – 1934). The family lived on the north side of Elizabeth St. one house east of Ontario St. She married Archie Millar on December 11, 1904.

Jeeves, Jennie (b.1877), her parents were John (1849 – 1929), a market gardener, and Augusta Ray (1855 - 1900). She had eight brothers and sisters (George b. 1873; Carrie 1874 – 1880; Henry b. 1875; Ernest b. 1878; Ray b. 1883; Charles Percy 1879 – 1938; Emma b. 1882; Frederick C. 1886 – 1934). The family lived on the north side of Elizabeth St. one house east of Ontario St. She married Charles World on July 12th 1900.

Jeffrey, John (b. 1865) and Elizabeth (b. 1867), had four children, Douglas (b. 1891), Walter (1894), John (b. 1896) and Isobel (1900). John was the Vice-President and Treasurer at McKinnon Dash & Metal Works Co. Ltd. The family lived on Geneva near the north end of the Welland Canal.

Jenks, Leorena (Lorina) (b. 1879), was the daughter of Charles (b. 1840) and Saria (b. 1847). She had two sisters, Stella (b. 1886) and Mildred (b. 1891). The family lived in Willoughby Township area between Chippawa and Fort Erie. The Beam family relations live in this area.

Jenks, Lillie could it be Stella L. there are no Lillie in Willoughby and Jenks are definitely the ones from this area.

Jenks, Saria (b. 1847), was married to Charles (b. 1840) and had three daughters, Leorena [Lorina] (b. 1879), Stella (b. 1886) and Mildred (b. 1891). The family lived in Willoughby Township area between Chippawa and Fort Erie.

Jones, Eva

Jones, Francis, worked for Leach & Jones. His home was on the south side of Dufferin three houses west of Lake St.

Jones, Jessie

Jones, Mr. S

Jones, Mrs

Jones, Tom, was a fork-maker a the Welland Vale Co. His home was on the south side of Dufferin three houses west of Lake St.

Jory, Dr. Joseph M. (b. 1869), was a physician and surgeon. His office and home were located on King St. south east corner of Church St.

Joubert, Petrus (Piet) Gen.-Commander of Boer (1831 – 1900), was a South African Politician. Participated in the Boer War. Read more.

K

Kattmeier, miss

Keating, Mrs (d. Oct 27, 1900).

Keatings, Shelley

Kellogg Annie M. (b.1846), was the widow of Moses Kellogg. She lived at 19 Park Place and ran a boarding house.

Kellogg Lizzie, was a dressmaker. She lived and worked at 19 Park Place.

Kennedy, Grace M., 1ived at 79 James St.

Kennedy, Mrs. (d. December 18, 1900), was of St. Louis.

Kenny, Larry, C. 

Kerr, Rev. his son was burried Aug 25

Keyes, Mrs

Keyes, C. M. Mrs, he was a teacher at Ridley College and at Winnie's Sunday School.

Killmer, Arabela (Bella), (b. 1879) was the daughter of Fredrick (b. 1852) and Mary Harvey (1858 – 1926). She lived on Welland Ave. south west corner of Queen St.

Killmer Frederick (b. 1852), was a dentist. His office was at 63 St Paul and he lived with his wife Mary Harvey (1858 - 1926) and daughter, Arabela (b. 1879) on Welland Ave. south west corner of Queen St.

Killmer Mary Harvey (1858 - 1926), was the wife of Fredrick a dentist (b. 1852). The couple lived with their daughter, Arabela (b. 1879) on Welland Ave. south west corner of Queen St.

Kilman, Hattie, Mrs-, was the widow of Joseph Kilman. She lived at 16 Queen St.

Kilman, Miss

Kilner, Bella-4/12

Kilner, Mr - 18 Church  Street

Kilner, Mrs- 18 Church Street

Kimberley family

Kimberley, Mr-4/15

King, Dr. Frank (1848 - 1928), was a physician. His office and home were at 22 Queen St.

King, Henry (1848 - 1900), was Manager of the Norris Flour Mill and well as Mayor of St. Catharines. His wife was Annie (1851 - 1925), daughters Nelly (b. 1877) and Elsie (1885 – 1967) and sons Henry (b. 1872), a bookkeeper, and Norris (b. 1875).

Klotz, Dr. E. Carl (b 1848), was a dentist. His practice was located on 68 St Paul St. and he lived at 83 James St. He was married to Marie (b. 1850). They had a son Walderman (b. 1878).

Klotz, Marie (b 1850), was the wife of Carl E. (b. 1848) and mother of Walderman (b. 1887). The family lived at 83 James St.

Klotz, Walderman (b 1887), was the son of Carl (b. 1848) and Marie (b. 1850).

Kruger, General Paul (1825 – 1904), was a military and political figure in South Africa during and after the Boer War. He takes Joubert’s position

L

Lake, Miss, married J.N. Walker.

Lampman, R. Estella (b. 1872), lived on Church St. at the north east corner of Lyman. In 1903 she married Rev. H. N. Konkle.

Lane, Miss, played in recital in Buffalo -jun28

Lane, Mr

Larkin Ellen A. (b. 1866), lived on Academy north east corner of King St. She was the daughter of Ellen M (b. ) and Captain Patrick Larkin (1834 - 1900). Her siblings Marguerite (b 1870), Amy (b. 1872), Hubert (1875 - 1924), a contractor, and Maria (b. 1877).

Laurier, Sir Wilfred (1841 - 1919) was the seventh Prime Minister of Canada, in office from 11 July 1896 to 6 October 1911.

Lee, Mr (d. October 30, 1900), committed suicide. He lived on Court St. and Centre St.

Leitch, Dr. Mrs (d. June 9, 1900).

Lewis, Mr

Lillie, aunt married to Horace

Lloyd, Annie (b.1883), was the daughter of Arthur (d.1893) and Mary. Lived at 100 Ontario St.

Lloyd, Nellie (b.1884), was the daughter of Arthur (d.1893) and Mary. Lived at 100 Ontario St.

Lovelace Edwin (b. 1866) & Venetia Lovelace (b. 1867), he worked at the Journal Printing and Publishing Co, located at 90-92 St Paul St. Their home was on Welland Ave. at the north east corner of York St. They had a son Stanley (b. 1893).

M

Macdonald

MacFarlane, Miss 

Mafeking???

Malcolmson, mrs

Maloney, Timothy (b. 1841), replaced McGinnis on June 19th, 1900. He and his wife Catharine (b. 1841) lived on the west side of Rodman Rd two houses north of Russell Ave.

Marborough, Miss

Marquis, Alice Maude (1868 - 1921 ), was the wife of Alexander W. Marquis (b. 1862) a barrister with practice at 21 Queen St. Maud was a member of the Music Circle and participated in many of society's recitals. The couple had a daughter, Marjorie (b. 1897) and a son born in October 1901. The family lived on Ann St. south west corner of Cherry Street.

Marquis, Will (b. 1875 ), was a clerk at A. W. Marquis, Barrister and Solicitor. He was the son of John A. (1832 - 1905) , an accountant at Riordan Mills, and Ellen (1838 - 1903). He lived at 16 Catharine St. with his two sisters, Isabella D. (b. 1873) and Jean E. (b. 1877).

Mason, mrs

McCallum, Miss, recites at performances.

McCaul, Miss at Mrs. Macfarlane's

McCleary, Annie graduates from Demill in Voice

McClell, Nora played music

McClive, Bella

McCordick

McCoy Dr. Samuel H. (b. 1865), was a physician. His office and home were at 8 Queen St.

McEdward, Annie (b. 1884), was the daughter of Alex (b. 1846) who worked at McEdward and Moore, and Robenia (b. 1847). She had a sisters Ethel (b. 1879) and a brother Wilbert (b. 1886). The family lived at 23 Duke St.

McEdward, Ethel (b. 1879), played in concert. was the daughter of Alex (b. 1846) who worked at McEdward and Moore, and Robenia (b. 1847). She had a sisters Annie (b. 1884) and a brother Wilbert (b. 1886). The family lived at 23 Duke St.

McFarlane, Miss

McGeadie, Marrion

McGhie, Mrs

McGibbon, Miss 12/12

McGinnie

McGinnis, Mr

McGregor, Colin (b. 1867) was a music teacher who worked and lived at 32 Welland Ave. He was a lodger in the home of Neil McGregor (b. 1855), Star Printing & Publishing Co., and Mary (b. 1859) and their daughter, Hellen (b. 1870).

McGregor, Albert & Annie,  lived at 17 Duke St. Albert was an accountant for Woodburn Sarven Wheel Works.

McGurie, Kathleen, lived on the north side of Church St. four houses west of Geneva St.

McIntosh, William, carpenter and builder. He lived on the north side of Louisa St.two houses east of Lake St.

McIntyre, John (b.1864), owner of McIntyre & Son. He was also Mayor of St. Catharines in 1901. He lived on St Paul St. south west corner of Chestnut St. His wife was Rachel (b. 1866) daughter Hazel B. (b. 1894) and Wernomt son (b. 1897). -- VERIFY

McLaren, Frances M. (b. 1883), was a check girl at McLaren & Co., Ltd. She was the daughter of Myron (b. 1856), a mason, and Sarah (b. 1854). She had three siblings, Nellie (b. 1885), Catherine (b. 1887) and Archibald (b.1891). The family lived at 34 George St.

McSloy, Hugh was the secretary treasurer of the Canada Hair-Cloth Co. He lived at 77 King St.

McSloy, Nora lived at 70 Church St.

McTavish, Daniel, 29 Queenston (drowned in Chippawa) ???????

Merritt, Charlie (b. 1875) was the son of Jediah (b. 1820) and Emily (b. 1834). His siblings were William (b. 1866), a doctor, Catharine (b. 1867), Jediah (b. 1869), a bank clerk, Thomas (1870), a bank clerk, Hellen (b. 1872), Louis (b. 1872), a farmer, John (b. 1878).

Merritt, Jedediah Prendergast (died Nov 18, 1900), was Postmaster at St. Catharines and appointed by Parliament as Archivist. Read more.

Merritt, Bertha (b. 1874), was the daughter of Lieut.-Col. Roland Gregroy of Louth. Her husband, Louis Alexander (1871 - 1904) was employed by the Zercum Manufacturing Company, Tonawanda, New York. They had a son, Gregory (b. 1899) and a daughter. Read more.

Miller, Mr., was a preacher. Possibly Rev. John O. Miller (b. 1860), Principal at Ridley College. He lived at 108 Ontario St. He was married to Catharine (b. 1872) and had a daughter, Nannette (b. 1891).

Milner, Mrs

Milton

Moore, Catherine (b. 1862), was the wife of Charles K. (b. 1865) part owner of Dillon & Moore Boots and Shoes located at 79 St Paul St. The couple lived at 92 King St.

Moore, Edwin, (b.  1865), he was a grocer. He was married to Clara (b. 1873). The couple had a child Clark (b. 1885). The shop and home were located at 105 St. Pau St.

Moulin, Dr Walter Bishop's son - preacher.

Muir, Jessie (b. 1870), was the daughter of William (b. 1820), a ship builder. She had two sisters Nettie (b. 1873) and Della (b. 1874). Jessie lived at 89 Queen St. The family was from Port Dalhousie.

Murphy, Joseph, actor at Opera House, November 8, 1900.

Murphy, Rev Arthur, (1856 - 1949).

Murray, Miss, singer.

Myer

N

Nellie - Beam family horse.

Nelson, Marion H. (b. 1871), was an artist who attended an art school in Buffalo. She was the daughter of Charles C. (b. 1833), a machinist at N. W. Canal, and Sarah (b. 1835). Her siblings were Nella (b. 1869), a stenographer, Fred (b. 1877), a machinist, and John (b. 1879), a student. The family lived on Rodman St. south east corner of St. Patrick St.

Nettie, Dr. Beam's assistant until Fenruary 3, 1900.

Newman, E. Laura (b.1883), was the daughter of Jabez (b. 1860), a contractor and part owner of Newman Brothers located at 24 Nelson St., and Josephine (b. 1860). Her siblings were Arthur (b.1884), Herbert (b. 1889) and Fred (b. 1895). The family lived at 56 James St.

Newman, Leta, Winnie's classmate.

Norris, Carrie, in 1900 she lived in Toronto. By 1901 she is in the Vernon St. Catharines Directory, living on Russell Ave. north east corner of Geneva St.

Norris, Helen

Norris, Mollie

Notman, Barbara (1844 - 1923), was the widow of John (1838 - 1893). She and her children, Archibald H. (1881 - 1914), book keeper at the Welland Vale Bicycle Co.(on September 5, 1907 he married Kathleen Grace Greenwood), Barbara (b. 1883), A. Grace (b. 1888) (on September 8, 1910 she married Ernest Kingsland) lived at 81 Queen St.

O

O'Connor, Miss, from Buffalo is a soprano.

O'Flynn, Dr. John F., was a dentist on 85 St. Paul St., his office was over Swayze Bros.' Store. He lived on Church St. south west corner of William St.

O'Loughlin, Henry, was an insurance and real estate agent, the office was on 35 King St,. He lived at 3 Beecher.

Oarlisle, Marguerite

Odlum, Helen (1858 - 1908), wife of E. J. Odlum (1847 - 1905). Mr Odlum was assistant engineer on the Welland Canal. The family lived on the south side of Welland Avenue 2 houses east of Queen Street. They had a daughter Eleanor Dora (1878 - 1960).

Overholt, Frank (b. 1848), possibly a farmer in Kent, in the subdistrict of Romney. His wife was Eliza (b. 1846) and they had a son Hubert (b. 1878).

Overholt, Frank, and his wife of South Africa.

Overholt, Joseph (b. 1855), was a dentist. He lived in Hamilton with his wife Helen (1865), sons Frank (b. 1887) and Lancelot (b. 1888).

Overholt, Melina (b. 1852) was the wife of Jonas (b. 1849) a hostler at Sanderson & Newman. The couple lived at 74 James St. with their children Martha (b. 1871), Melvin (b. 1881), Murry (b. 1881), Arthur (b. 1887), Claton (b. 1892), Glenie (b. 1891).

Overholt, N. Mrs., possibly Elizabeth Gregory. She married Nelson Overholt on March 22, 1855.

Owen, Mr., was from England.

P

Paderewake, was a musician.

Painter, Mr.

Pansy, Beam family cat.

Parnell, Alice D. (b. 1885), was a clerk at E W Edmunds. She was the daughter of George and Emmereta. She had a sister Ida E. She lived at 22 St. Paul St. She married Mr. Abbs.

Patterson, Miss.-on Dec 12

Pay, Mrs. & Mr., of South Africa - feb 5.

Pay, Albert, secretary-treasure of St Catharines Cold Storage & Forwarding Co. He and his family lived at 7 Welland Ave.

Pay Albert N. (b. 1875), was a carpenter for N St C & T Ry. He was married to Ella (b. 1878). They had two children, Willie (b. 1898) and Charles (b. 1899). The family lived on the south side of Welland Ave. two houses west of Clark.

Phillips, Laura

Pearson, Mr.

Peel, William (1847 - 1916), was the director of the 19th Regt Band. He was married to Elizabeth Calvert (1857 - 1928). Their children were: Percy (b. 1880), Idea (b. 1883), Lotta (b. 1885), Mary (b. 1892), Sarah H. (b. 1895) and Dorithy (b. 1898). The family lived on Raymond St.

Perry, Nathaniel (b. 1867) & Jenny (b. 1875), Nathaniel was the rector of St Thomas Church (99 Ontario St., St. Catharines). They lived on the south side of Church St. two houses east of Helliwell's. with their son Karl (b. 1900).

Phelps, Mollie (b. 1885), was the daughter of Oliver J. (b. 1859), manager at Penman Manufacturing Co., and Catharine (b. 1862). Her siblings were Harold (b. 1883) and Dorathy (b. 1894). The family were lodgers in the boarding house run by Margaret Clarke, on Church south west corner of William St.

Phillips, Laura, on June26, 1900 she graduate from Demill in Piano. On June 28 she played in a recital in Buffalo.

Potter, Edna

Powers, Mr., President of elcetric cars to Falls- Jul 9.

Price, Philip Ingram (1864 - 1931), was the president of the James D. Tait Co. Ltd.. He lived at 150 Ontario St. with his wife Edna (b. 1875), daughter Erie (1900) and mother Roblin Amanda (b. 1834). The couple had two more children, Gerald R. and John.

Price, Phoebe (1835 - 1903), was Winnie Beam’s aunt, her mother’s (Emma) sister. She lived with the family on Ontario St.

Pringle, James R. (b. 1875), was a bkpr Co-O C & M Co. He lived on Henry St. north west corner of Louisa. His parents were John (b.1853 ) and Elminia (b. 1856). He had three siblings, Agness (b. 1874) worked at Packard Electric, Jessie (1883) worked at Packard Electric, and Lewiss (b. 1885).

Prior, Lizzie (b. 1876), her parents were T. James (b. 1849) worked at the Stag Dominion Hair Cloth Co. and Sarah (b. 1851). Her siblings were Charles (b. 1878) was a bkpr at Stag Dominion Hair Cloth Co. and Chatfield (b. 1883) was a clerk at Chatfield & Co.. The family lived at 40 Queen St.

Prior, T. James Prior (b. 1849), worked at the Dominion Hair & Clothing. He was married to Sarah (b. 1851). The couple had three children, Lizzie (b. 1876), Charles (b. 1878) a bkpr at Stag Dominion Hair Cloth Co. and Chatfield (b. 1883) a clerk at Chatfield & Co.. The family lived at 40 Queen St.

Q

Quackenbush, C, Mrs Capt C. Queen Mrs Queen

R

Rane, Michael (b. 1841), was a grocer. He was married to Mary (b. 1841).

Ratcliffe, Daisy

Raynolds, Edith, was a sales lady.

Read, Angelo (McCallum) (1854 - 1926), taught at Ridley College as well as d'Youville College in Buffalo.Read who was also an organist and is considered to be one of the earliest Anglo-Canadian composers. In 1889 he became the organist at St. Thomas Church in St. Catharines.
Read more.

Read, Beosie

Read, Bertha (b. 1887), was the daughter of W. K. Read (b. 1847), a farmer, and Samantha (b. 1855). Her siblings were Roy H. (b. 1879), Charles E. (b. 1881), Florence I. (b. 1885), Grace (b. 1889).

Read, Bessie her father died. She was a clerk at McKinnon Dash & Metal Works Co.

Reyes, Miss., was a teacher at the Collegiate Institute in 1900.

Riordon, Charles Christopher (b.1874), his father was Charles Riordon and his mother was Edith Ellis. He had a sister Edith Amelia (Amy) Riodron. Charles married Amy Paterson on June 23, 1900. They had a son, Charles Harold (b.1901). Amy's parents were Charles Paterson and Mary Benson. Read more.

Roe, Joseph (1852 - 1921) possibly, was the brother-in-law of George Anderson.

Rolls, Winnie (1880 - 1960), her father was Thomas (1856 - 1915), her mother was Amelia Pawling (1857 - 1921). She had four siblings: Hattie (1884 - 1972), Frederick (1887 - 1947), Clarence (1890 - 1970) and Ernest (1890 - 1964).

S

Scott, Rita (b.1886), her father was Walter (1855-1901) and her mother was Elizabeth (b.1861). Her siblings were Jean C. (b.1890), J. Garnet (b.1892), Hellen M. (b.894) and Elizabeth (b.1897).

Seymour, Elesibeth (b. 1827) widow James lived with her three daughters, Oliva (b. 1850), E. Mary (b. 1864) and Emily (b. 1871) at Duke St.

Sheahan, M. Mary (b. 1871), was the wife of Dr. John Sheahan (b. 1870). They lived at 33 Church St.

Smith, Ida, was the wife of Len. She was a seamstress for Mrs Noble on Queen St. She lived on Ontario St. north west corner of Trafalgar.

Smith, Leila B (b.1895), her father was Andrew (b.1865) and her mother was Anne (b.1870). She had a brother Stanley W. (b.1900).

Smith, Maggie (b.1876), her father was Joseph H. (b.1848) and her mother was Jennie G. (b.1849). She had two sisters, Carrie B (b.1875), and Laura (b.1882).

Smith, Dr. Robert H., his office and home were at 10 Duke St.

Southcott, H., was a druggist. His pharmacy was at 97 St. Paul St.

Southcott, Ivy Belle M. (b.1890), was the daughter of Fredrick (b. 1858), worked for the Coy Bros, and Isabella (b. 1860). She had two sibblings, Kathleen (b. 1894) (she married Dr. George L. Miller in June, 30, 1919) and Arnold (b. 1896). The family lived at 72 James St. She married Marland Woolnough on June 20, 1920.

Sullivan, Margeret, (b. 1855), she was a seamstress. She was married to Thomas. In 1901 she had three daughters living with her at 70 King St., Annie (b.  1878), Hellen (b. 1880), Katherine (b. 1894).

T

Thompson, William, gave recitals at the Opera House.

Trotter, Mr., was a Preacher.

Trusty, Annie (b.1868), daughter of Susan Trusty's, the Beam family's domestic help. The family was African-American.

Trusty, Susan (b.1841), she was the Beam family's domestic. Her mother Anne M. Smith lived with her and her daughter Annie (b. 1868) in 1901. The family was African-American.

Tucker, Eva (b. 1889), her parents were John (b.1840) and Catharine (b.1859). She had four siblings Mable (b.1878), John (b.1882), William (b.1886) and Thomas H. (b.1894).

Tucker, Mabel (b. 1878), her parents were John (b.1840) and Catharine (b. 1859). She had four siblings Eva (b. 1889), John (b. 1882), William (b.1886) and Thomas H. (b. 1894).

Tucker, Thomas (b.1894), his parents were John (b. 1840) and Catharine (b. 1859). He had four siblings, Eva (b. 1889), John (b. 1882), William (b.1886) and Mabel (b. 1878).

Tulley, Mrs., was Dr. Abbot's sister. In 1900 she was visiting St. Catharines with her brother. THey stayed at the Welland House Hotel.

U

V

Vanderburgh, Sarah Ryerson (1840 - 1900), she married John James (1839 - 1911) in 1860. She was the sister of Dr. Egerton Ryerson the founder of the Ontario Educational system. The couple has a daughter, Teresa (1863 - 1911), a prominent member of the St. Catharines cultural circle and a prominent musician and teacher at the Collegiate Institute.

Vanderburgh, Teresa (1863 - 1941), she was the only daughter of John James (1839 - 1911) and Sarah Ryerson (1840 - 1900) and the niece of Dr. Egerton Ryerson the founder of the Ontario Educational system. She was a prominent member of the St. Catharines cultural circle and a prominent musician and teacher at the Collegiate Institute.

Vanderburgh, Allie

Vine, Eva, was a bookkeeper. She lived on Greenwood near Lock 2.

W

Waite, Emma, was the widow of William. She lived on the north west side of Geneva Street five houses north of Church St.

Walker, D. M., of D. M. Walker & Co. in 1901 boarded at the Grand Central Hotel in St. Catharines.

Walker, James N., was the owner of James N. Walker & John A. Abbs druggist, 28 Queen St and 187 St. Paul. In 1900 he married Miss Lake and lived on William St. at the corner of Lake St.

Weaver, Arthur  (b.1879), was a boarder in the home of Charles Timlin in Beamsville.

X

Y

Z

Zimmerman Fred, was a painter I Normandy, home was at 43 Welland Ave.

Prev Next