The Fourth Welland Canal
In 1913, the Fourth Welland Canal began and it would be finished in about 20 years. The locks were made of concrete instead of stone. The canal measures to be 25 miles between Port Weller and Port Colborne.The Third Welland Canal did not accommodate larger ships, and this was the aim when the Fourth Welland Canal was constructed. In addition, Port Weller became the new Lake Ontario entrance, making Port Dalhousie less important in the shipping industry. This is a picture of the building of the watertight embankment associated with the Fourth Welland Canal.