Niagara Parks Commission Records
The Niagara Parks Commission was created in March of 1885 by the Ontario Government as part of an international effort to preserve the natural scenery around Niagara Falls. The Commission is in charge of the development and maintenance of 3000 acres of public parks, a scenic boulevard from Lake Erie to Lake Ontario, restaurants, gardens, forts, and other attractions along the Niagara Parkway. These attractions include the Laura Secord Homestead, Old Fort Erie, and the Mackenzie Printery. Other historic sites, such as Queenston Heights Park, are under the Commission's care.
The Ontario Editorial Bureau handled public relations campaigns for many of the Commission's attractions. The Niagara Parks Commission records contain correspondence, media releases, clippings, and photographs related to their attractions and development from the late 1940s to the early 1980s.