Maintenance and Upkeep
There is ongoing maintenance at the monument. Here we see a couple of tenders for work at the monument from 1884 and 1888.
In 1929, a thunderstorm raged for six hours and the monument was damaged. Brock's outstretched arm was broken into three pieces which crashed to the ground. Brock's arm is now on display at the monument. In 1930, scaffolding was erected at the monument and Brock's arm was replaced.
Engineering inspections took place in 2003 and 2004. The interior of the monument needed repairs and restoration. The monument was closed in 2005 so that repairs could be done. In 2008 and 2009, the interior walls had to be relined in order to avoid condensation and interior emergency lights were installed as a safety precaution.