Shelter Bay, Quebec
Colonel McCormick (editor and publisher of the Chicago Tribune) offered Schmon a job at his Shelter Bay pulpwood operations. In 1913, Robert McCormick had also started up a paper mill in Thorold, known as the Ontario Paper Company. Mr. Schmon accepted the challenge of working at this lonely outpost on the lower St. Lawrence River despite the fact that he didn't know the difference between a spruce and a balsam. McCormick overlooked this shortcoming and he was right in doing so. Schmon was promoted to Woodlands Manager in 1923. In 1930, he became the General Manager. This was expected to be a seasonal operation but the construction of the mill led to the building of a town (Baie Comeau) and its power development. All of this was accomplished under Schmon’s leadership. Baie Comeau's Quebec North Shore Paper Mill is now Abitibi Consolidated Inc.
Some 5,000 men worked at Baie Comeau during its construction. The first employees of Baie Comeau were foresters, construction engineers and paper men. Everything had to be transported by water and for six months of the year the major mode of land transportation was dogsled. When Celeste joined Arthur there in 1919, they resided in a log cabin. It was an incredibly rugged lifestyle and an enormous undertaking to build a mill and a community out of this wilderness of rock and forest.